Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Things a Military Spouse knows ( Repeat)

I had this posted in a previous blog...way way back when. I also had it On my blog layout BUT decided to delete it. I wanted to post it here one last time because I really find these to be true. And for you who are knew to the military, you will soon learn each one of these!
  • The thought of being alone for a year doesn’t bother me. The fear of being alone for a lifetime—does.
  • Flat rate boxes can hold twenty whoopee cushions, four kindergarten projects, and five perfume-scented letters.
  • Technology can be a double-edged sword—one side delivering his face; the other a brutal live-action feed of explosions and camouflaged body parts.
  • Murphy’s Law is a constant companion. The moment he walks out the door, anything that can break, collapse, bleed, or explode–will .
  • Five hours of uninterrupted sleep is a gift from the deployment gods
  • Holidays are hard, but manageable.
  • Deployments come and go, but sand from his boots never leaves.
  • Nothing can replace a handwritten letter. Through those beautifully folded pages, he is holding my hand again.
  • When the National Anthem is played, I know goosebumps will rise on my arms, and a lump will fill my throat.
  • The silence in communication following a war zone attack is agonizing.
  • Laughter is a powerful ally.
  • Each deployment offers two options: grow or regress. This is a choice.
  • Cereal is always a dinner option.
  • Videos of lost teeth, ballerina recitals, and preschool graduations can be emailed to Iraq nearly instantly.
  • Five powers of attorney and the intimate details of his will are needed to navigate a deployment.
  • White out blizzards can actually bury a truck in five minutes.
  • Rosie the Riveter was right: We can do it.
  • Children cling to hope and the promise of tomorrow.
  • Living in each moment together is possible when facing the fear that it could be your last.
  • Welcome home kisses are sweeter than the finest chocolate.
  • Anger will grip me and depression can hold me, but another military spouse will steady me.
  • A six-year-old child can feel the absence of her father so deeply that she can suffer from clinical depression.
  • A military spouse will often hold her/his tongue, silencing a story, for fear of sounding “unpatriotic.”
  • The sound of a bugle can make my heart swell with pride or collapse in sorrow.
  • Duct tape and a monkey wrench can fix nearly anything.
  • Despite the protestors and those who tell me I “knew” what I was getting into, I know there are countless American citizens who will go above and beyond to show they support us.

No comments:

Post a Comment