Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Things To Do When Selling Your House

Well as you know M and I just bought a house for the first time. Not only did we buy one but we bought it from a different state, without even seeing it in person. So the whole process was totally stressful. Our realtor as well as MJs teacher told me that a few of the most stressful things in a persons life are Death, Divorce, And Buying a house.

On Top of just the stress of buying a house, we had to deal with a seller who was her own realtor. This woman was fake nice. She is the neighbor that is really friendly so she can get the dirt on everyone. Seriously she told me about each and every person that lives around their house and their whole life story. Our neighbor to one side of us is 26 prior army. He was married to a blonde Megan but now a brunette Megan lives there and it is not the same woman. See what I mean?? She is a snoop!

She would email me great helpful things and then turn around to our realtor and complain about offers and time and military clauses. Never to me though. She was always so nice to me. She 'left' us great things. Such as drapes that she just didnt need in her house with her boyfriend anymore. Or $1000 worth of propane in the tank. We later found out she only left that because it would cost her even more for AmeriGas to haul it away.

She told my me she was tending to her garden the last few weeks to clean it up before we got here. Really she just removed the plants she wanted to take with her. Fake nice right?

Next, she had to have the roof replace because it was totally on its last limb. We ashed her if she could tell us the company name so we can call and talk to them about the roof and if we wanted to add more money on top of hers to make it a little bit better one. Her response to our realtor: I am paying $10,000 on a new rood so I assure you it is a good one. Plus I am the one who has to live with it if the sell ends up falling through so she picks it. She does I get that, but really lady? We were going to pay to make it even better!!

In the offer, we told he she needed to fix the crack in the bedroom ceiling that was caused by the old roof and repaint it. It was a very small crack no bigger then my hand. She fixed it but weeks before closing emailed our relator and asked if it was ok that she didnt paint it because she has bad wrist and she has been meaning to get it checked but has been so busy selling her house. It really wasnt that big of a deal to us but come on lady dont sign the offer if you dont wanna do something.

Last, we walk into a house that is completely filthy. Looks like she never cleaned a baseboard in her life. Dust and dirt everywhere. The shower in the master bath was black! As well as dead bees all over. Her paint job in the few rooms she painted were horrible and lazy. She would just paint over light switches and doors and it was so messed up. She had nail holes all over every wall like she took a nail gun to it for shooting practice. If there werent nail holes there were still Nails!! I had to take out about 15-20 nails in one small wall in the play room. We didnt want to paint the office and play room right away but had to because it looked so bad.

Now dont get me wrong, this house is so amazing. It is perfect for us and so beautiful. But the fact we had to walk into a dirty house was frustrating.

So I sat here and thought about when we turn around and sell this house in 5 years. What I would do differently as a seller to make the buyers experience better then ours was. Here is the list I came up with. Please please if your selling your home consider doing these as well!!!

*CLEAN!! Please please clean your house. If you dont have time, are too old, or too lazy to clean, hire a cleaning lady. For $300 you can have a moving out cleaning and your house will look amazing.

*Dont leave me 50 different keys to the house. This lady really had 50 different keys. Only having 4 doors and a shed it was a little crazy. We still dont know what 5 of the go to

*Remove your nails and fill the holes. It really takes no time at all to do so and you wont believe what a difference it makes.

*Hire a realtor unless you are a full time realtor or flip houses for  a living. Just because you have a realtor license but never have used it does not mean your good at it.

* When you agree to an offer stick to it. Dont bail out of something last minute while pulling the Im old sympathy card. She is lucky I am nice or that lady would have been on a ladder painting her little heart away.

*If your leaving propane or drapes or whatever, dont tell me your doing it as a housewarming gift when really you are too lazy to remove them or it will cost you money. Also I dont need your used plungers and left over cleaning supplies. ( this woman seriously has 5/6 plungers for a 3 bath house!)
She was also kind enough to leave me a half read menopause book. Who does this lady think I am!?

* Make sure things work before you tell the buyer they do. We have already had to use our warranty on the upstairs AC and my father in law has had to rewire the kitchen and laundry room because who ever she had do it when she expanded the kitchen SUCKED. I assure you that is not something we wanted to deal with the first few days of being in our new home. We were just lucky my father in law knows so much about so much or else that would have been a ton of money.

* Stop feeding the stray cats about a month prior to moving. I assure you as a buyer who is not a fan of cats and has 3 dogs I do not want 5 cats hanging around my house even if the new kittens are adorable. Those kittens turn into big cats and big cats mate and have more kittens and before I know it my yard will be filled with dirty cats.

* Be for real nice. Not Fake. And if your not nice or choose not to be. Dont talk to the buyer at all and dont act like it. I much rather her have been a B word from the start then secretly behind our back.

I know there is tons of stress that comes with buying/selling a house. But you are the one who can make it better/worse for everyone. SO please remember these things when selling your home next. I know we will. I can already say that we have added value to this house in the 2 weeks we have been here. With the new patio, bball court, fence, and new landscaping we are adding this first year, its going to be awesome for whoever buys it when we move!!

No comments:

Post a Comment