Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Home is where the Air Force sends us...

... Its true. It doesnt matter where we go, where our orders are written out to, we go... we go and we make it home. Have you ever sat and thought about what it would be like if when you married your spouse, and bought your first house, and had your first baby, and maybe your second or third, and watched them grow up, and became a grandparent was all in one location? For so many people this is normal, for military families its not. For me, its scary. I have been moving from place to place, state to state, since I was 18 years old. Im not even sure I remember what its like to stay in one place for very long. I have never had the chance to as an adult. Would I love making a home for myself in an area I will grow old in around family and friends? Or would I get the itch to move every few years?

Its hard moving every few years. I hear it from every spouse I know that is involved in the military. Its exciting, but its hard. You have to leave friends behind. The friends that you have made your family. You leave the home, although small and probably on base, that was yours for the past 3 years. The home you made memories in. You leave the State you met your spouse in, or had your son in. There can be a million things you dislike about a base or new location, but you made memories, you made it your home. Mountain Home became my home. There are far too many memories that where made here. Some I cant wait to leave behind, but more I will hold dear to my heart for the rest of my life. I have met life long friends, that truly are my family. My son was born here! The most amazing memory that I can possibly be blessed with. He met his first friends and lived his first year and a half here. He made memories here as well. Although he probably wont remember them as we look back at pictures 18 years from now, they were still memories, even if they were mine of him growing up.

But its true, home really is where the Air Force sends us. We have to make it home. In order to feel at peace, and comfortable with our new location, we make it a home. We decorate our new home the way we love it. We make new friends that might or might not become life long ones. We make memories. It becomes our home, until we get orders again and the whole process starts over. As military wives, we learn to make the best out of our situations. Each and every one of them. We live with it, we make it our life.

As our time left here in Mountain Home gets shorter and shorter I have begun to grow extreamly emotional. Not only am I trying to make every last memory here in our home with our friends, Im doing it without my husband by my side to make the last memories as well. Im dreading leaving here if only because I will miss the friends who have become family, or the little things about this area that I DO enjoy. But Im also excited. Im excited to start over. To be in our first house that we bought in a location that is so near to family its almost unbelievable. Im excited to make new friends. But Im nervous too. I know there will be a time, maybe a month into moving, that I will miss here more then ever. When I havent met many friends yet due to not being by a base. OR just missing my old ones. The ones I went through so much with. The ones that know me just as well as I know myself. But I will get past it. I will always hold on to the memories here and stay close to those who have became our family. I will make new friends and make Sandusky our home. Maybe even more of a home then Mountain Home was.

Here is to new memories that will be made and new friendships that will form!!




No comments:

Post a Comment