Saturday, February 9, 2013

Sippy Cup

I have done research on sippy cups for quite some time. MJ started using one before he was six months old. I had always heard that if you used bottles and then sippy cups for too long it can case major teeth problems. So that is why I chose to switch from bottle to sippy so early on. I wanted him to learn to use a sippy so hey would then use a straw cup and regular cup sooner rather then later..before he got lots of teeth and it could do damage. Well we have been using sippy cups ever since for milk and water. He does use a straw when we are out of the house but sippys while we are home. He only has 4 teeth so I figured it wasnt a huge deal. I recently was researching what is the best sippy cups for toddlers before they are able to use a cup. Up until recently he only used soft spout sippy cups and I wanted him to switch to hard ones. So here I was online yesterday looking up the one that was less likely do do harm to the teeth. We got him a few from walmart this past week that he really liked and did well with and it happen to be that those were on the top ten best ones. Well as I did more research because one website is never enough for me, I came across a few articles that say that sippy cups should be used ONLY to transition from bottle to cup, not using them longer then a month or two. This is because, not only can it cause 'bottle teeth' or make the placement of the teeth off but it can actually cause speech problems such as delayed talking and lisps. This is because the placement of the tongue on the bottle and sippy cups. Watch next time your little one drinks. See how the tongue is slightly sticking out under the nipple or spout??? If they transition to a cup or straw cup it works the mouth and tongue muscles which is good for them of course!! I never knew this!!!!! Of course I doubt MJ is damaged being so young but this is something I would not have thought about at all. So of course, again, being the person I am I researched the best straw cup. I remembered seeing one on Shark tank that made total since to us and we really liked but had not seen in stores.It just so happened to be that this straw cup is not only on the top ten best straw cups but it is rated by moms as number one!!! Seriously check this thing out Lollacup So of course we immediately bought three of them. I am a person that doesnt mind spending the money on what is best for MJ.

So if you are transitioning to a bottle remember to only use the sippy cup for a short period of time, moving to a straw cup or regular cup asap. Also when searching for a sippy cup to use during that time look for one that is not spill proof. Spill proof cups have a piece inside that is much like a bottle and again doesnt work their mouth muscles right nor does it teach to drink from an actual cup. Research all this its true!!!

I just wanted to let all my mommies know about this BORING but IMPORTANT fact I learned

No comments:

Post a Comment