Monday, February 25, 2013

Sippy cup redo-and rating

A few post back I talked about all the information on sippy cups and then gave you my recommendation, based on reviews, of a good straw cup to use. Well I change my mind..can I do that??

We read amazing reviews on the llola cup and we just had to have it. We ordered 3.at $14.00 a piece... When I first received the package I was excited, what cute packaging!! Then I held it. It felt cheap to me. Cheap plastic. Also I wasn't fond of the look but I knew that and moved past it. I used it immediately. Within minutes MJ had milk all over himself. hmmmm It must just be MJ. Is he using it right?? Sometimes he likes to let the milk fall out of his mouth because apparently making mommy crazy is funny. I watched him as he drank it and he would tip it some, which is fine that IS the reason for the weighted straw right??? Milk was pouring out. I didnt know why or where from. I was seriously out the door and the cleaning lady walking in as this was all going down. I had to apologize for the milk trailed all over the kitchen and dining room. The next time he used it I had to hold it straight down so it would not spill. When Matt got home he kinda looked at it and shrugged. The next day we tried again with the green one. It quickly failed as well. Seriously???  We realized, after comparing that one with then new $4 ( for a pack of ) two new ones we bought, that they placed a hole in the straw, to vent air. The liquid was leaking from that. The location was all wrong. Also the straw did not fit the entire straw hole causing liquid to leak from there as well. UGH how annoying is this. $50 and a lot of mess later we decided to stop using them. Matt of course wrote the company to explain the problem and give suggestions.

For the last few days we have been using the Nuby no leak straw cup and find it amazing...until I realized it did not say BPA free on the packaging.. I panicked. Noooo we fell in love with these. They are the perfect size, no spill, and sturdy. Great. Now we start from scratch. Well I did a little researched and since the company is foreign it is not mandatory to add BPA free to the label and as of recently all of the products are BPA free..ahhh sigh... I was not excited to start all over on the search for a good cup.

So after months of researching and reading reviews I am deciding to give you my own review on every cup we have tried, sippy, straw, whatever so you can see what I think, ad decide for yourself.






 Nuby 2 Count 2 Handle Cup with No spill Super spout

10 oz

BPA free

6.99 for two cups!!!

These were ones we bought when we first bought sippy cups and were changing him from bottle to sippy. At first we could not use them. They come out a tad fast causing him to cough. Within a month we started using them as his water cup throughout the day. We are in love with this cup. It is still only a water cup for him since we are trying to not use sippy cups often. Great material, great handles. 

This is a must have for our house


Nuby 2 pack no spill cup with flex straw

 10 oz

BPA free

$6.99 for two cups

 These were the cups we ran out and bought real fast at the BX when the lola cup did not work for us. These seriously are amazing. No leak unless MJ throws it and whatever was left in the top of the straw flies out..teach kid not to throw. The liquid only comes out when you are making a sucking motion because it puts light pressure on the straw and 'opens' the valve. Some reviews said that it was impossible to get out...um really? adults my 1 year old can do this and you cant?? Maybe not the best cup for someone learning the straw but its still easy to use. Also I read reviews saying its not sturdy and it shatters easy... this seems to be great material to me. Its made out of the same as the ones above and Mj has been throwing those on our hardwood floor for months. It was a bit annoying to clean the straw part because water gets stuck in the straw but if to tilt the top part at just the right angle you get a good flow of water through it.

 

This is another must have for us. We will be buying more right away

 

 

 Playtex baby First lil' gripper twist and click straw trainer cup


7 oz

Did not read on amazon it was BPA free but its playtex so I assume so.

$7.92 for one

 

This was the first straw cup we got for MJ. It works by you, the adult, pressing where the grips are on the cup so the water goes up the straw and into the childs mouth so they learn to suck. This one was a bit tough at first. It was really hard to squeeze so trying to teach a child to suck on a straw while having to press with both hands was not fun. It seemed to get a tad easier as we went along. once MJ knew how to use it on his own, it was great. Good material and no major leaking problems. We still use it for water since it is too small for milk now.

 Decent for beginners but look somewhere else first. Not bad once you know how to use it on your own.

 

 


 NUK Learner cup with silicone spout

5 oz

BPA free

$9.40 each

 

This was Mjs first sippy cup. We really liked them. So much we had 5 or 6 of them. Great size for an infant moving from bottle to sippy. Soft spout great removable handles. I wouldnt say spill proof but pretty good still. If you press hard enough on the silicone top it will all come out but it didnt happen very often for us. 

 

I for sure would buy these again if I had another child. Definitely recommend 

  

 

 

The first years 2 pack Insulated sippy cup

9 oz

BPA Free

$7.98 for two 

I bought these when I wanted him to go from soft spout to hard. He used them for a week and we really liked them. They changed colors when they had liquid in them. Then I read about the speech problems that sippy cups cause. We use them still but rotate with the straw cups. I still really like them. We have not had a problem with them spilling at all.

 

Recommend these if you want a sippy. 

 

Lollaland Lollacup Infant and toddler straw cup

anywhere from $15-$24

BPA Free

 

This is the cup I started talking about in this blog. I really wanted to like it I really did. But it was so cheaply made. Non sturdy plastic, way flimsy lid and leaked a ton..like the entire thing. The weighted straw idea, where the kid can tilt it and the straw still works, is an amazing idea...if the whole beverage didnt leak out at the slightest tilt.

 Wont ever buy this and dont recommend it until they fix some issues. maybe I will try them again when my child is 5 and knows not to tip it...then again he will have cups by then. 

 

  

   

 Philips AVENT Natural drinking cup

9 oz

BPA Free

$5.00 

 

This is a trainer 'cup'. Not a sippy of course. It works by the child drinking like you would from a normal cup. When in the drinking position the middle presses down slightly releasing water, enough to drink but not to spill everywhere. We just started using this with MJ. When we are out Mj always wants our drink and so we give it to him. Matt doesnt use a straw so MJ has learned to drink from a cup, if someone is pouring it for him. I dont even want to imagine if I gave him a cup on his own. He is learning how to use this on his own. He still either gets none, because he doesnt press hard enough, or gets too much because he sticks his whole face in it. So its a work in progress. But It seems to be good for now. It actually only leaks a few drops if tipped upside down which is nice and it comes with a lid. 

We have found no problems yet. Good invention.

 

Well there it is. All of the cups we have tried thus far and what I think about them. I am sure there will be more as he grows so I will add them to the list or to a new blog. I really hope for those of you researching cups found this helpful. I know if you are so OCD like I am you want the best and wont stop looking till you find it!! 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment