Friday, October 4, 2013

Whats new in the G house?

I wanted to take a minute out of my studying ( yes I said studying) to let you know what is new In the G house!!! 

I will first start off with the biggest thing! I am back in school. For those of you who know me I have had a hard time deciding what I want to do as a career. A stay at home mom is what I always wanted to do. I wanted to be there for my son. I remember as a kid both of my parents working all the time which meant I spent time in day care. I don't want that for MJ. Then I thought about teaching. Well teaching is obviously a rewarding career BUT its long hours which isn't what I wanted. then I started back to school to become a counselor for troubled kids. Kids whos parents divorced and are having a hard time, kids who were going down the wrong path, kids who went through some sort of trauma. all things I experienced as a kid/teenager. After I had my son I became less excited to do that. It is a wonderful career and I would love to give back to the community by helping kids like this but was it really something I wanted to do as a full time career?? I wasn't so sure. I went back to the stay at home mom idea. As I thought about my life when MJ is school aged I wondered what I would do, what I wanted to do. I knew I wanted to be home when he was home. I knew I wanted something flexible so I was able to attend all of his school functions, and I wanted something I was truly passionate about. I mean shouldn't be in a  career field we truly love? So many people work because they have to, in a career they might have interest in or might not. I wanted to do something that would get me excited to wake up in the morning at go to work.

This past few years has been full of weddings. My brothers, my cousins, my friends. I love weddings. Not only do I love attending them, but I LOVE when I am asked to help in the planning process. Not only with weddings but events in general, but specifically weddings. That was it. That was what I would love to do. Instead of jumping into it head first, I really sat to make sure this is what I wanted to do. Would it work with how I wanted my life to be? Is it something I will love doing? is it something I will stick with? I mean this was it, if I started school for this I would have to stick with it, or do nothing at all. We are paying off our loans from my last grand idea of what I thought I wanted to do. So I really wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting into and that I still wanted to do it.

Wedding and event planning sounds so glorious doesn't it? BUT I knew that it wasn't all that. it is a very rewarding job but after talking to some Ohio wedding planners and doing my research on the career field, I found that it was just as challenging. But I am up to the challenge. This is what I love, so the challenge is worth it.

I sat down and talked with M about my dream. To become and Wedding and event planner. I wanted to own my own business, not work for anyone else. I wanted it to be based out of my home ( for now who knows when M retires maybe I will set up a shop somewhere). I don't want to be the biggest wedding and event planner out there, I want to be a small business. I want to be affordable. Come on I know you wanted a wedding planner but lets admit, a lot of them are pretty pricey! Also I want to specialize in Military weddings, that is what my life is consumed of. I don't want to be a wedding planner that is taking on 12 brides at once, remember I said small. I want to be with my family, and then I want to be there for Brides. That is my dream. So I looked into schools and did research on them all and decided to go with New York Institute of Art and Design and started. this time next year I hope to be in the works of opening my own business. So until then I will be working hard to finish this school and learn what it takes to become a great Wedding and Event planner and what it takes to run my own business. With a lot of help and support from M, I am taking the first steps into doing so!


What else is new? Well M is hard at work and so far its not crazy. I know he is just getting started and still trying to figure things out so it could change in the next few months.

We are enjoying living so close to family, and we get to see mine next week when we attend my brothers wedding in Mississippi which I am really looking forward to. After that its preparing for the holidays and my mom coming out. I will be hosting Thanksgiving and Christmas at my hosue as long as we are living here. Should be fun!!

MJ is doing great in school. Great meaning better of course lol. He isn't crying all day and In fact didn't cry when I dropped him off or picked him up yesterday! yay! We just got the proofs for his school pictures. How cute is that! his first school pictures and even a class picture! I have already seen such a huge change in him these last few weeks. Today he even chased a girl around this playroom laughing.. he tends to stay away from other children because he just isn't used to it.

We are settled in our home and everything is going great, besides me finding out I have a dislocated rib, and have had it since I as pregnant with MJ. How crazy is that! So other then trying to take care of that, all of our health has been good besides M getting sick but that's nothing new!!

Things are just going great and we are loving it here even more each day! Now ask me again after the winter hits!!

No comments:

Post a Comment